The Civil Services Examination (CSE) is a nationwide competitive examination in India conducted by the Union Public Service Commission for recruitment to various Civil Services of the Government of India, including Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS), Indian Police Service (IPS), Indian Revenue Service (IRS)
The examination is one of the toughest examinations in India with success rate of 0.1%- 0.3% with more than 900,000 applicants. It is conducted in two phases - the Preliminary examination and Mains examination
CSAT (Prelims) Pattern
The Preliminary Examination consists of two papers of Objective type (multiple choice questions) and carry maximum of 400 marks. This exam is only a screening test; the marks obtained in the prelims are only for qualifying for main exam and are not counted for determining final order of merit.
|Paper I - General Studies||2 Hours||100||200|
|Paper II - Aptitude||2 Hours||80||200|
Civil Services (Mains) Pattern
|Paper A||Indian Language (Qualifying)||300|
|Paper B||English (Qualifying)||300|
|Paper II||General Studies - I||250|
|Paper III||General Studies - II||250|
|Paper IV||General Studies - III||250|
|Paper V||General Studies - IV||250|
|Paper VI||Optional Subject Paper 1||250|
|Paper VII||Optional Subject Paper 2||250|
|Interview (Personality Test)||275|
CSAT Paper-1 (General Studies): Syllabus
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography - Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance - Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development - Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change.
- General Science.
CSAT Paper-2 (Aptitude): Syllabus
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision making and problem solving.
- General mental ability.
- Basic numeracy and data interpretation (class-X level).
- English language comprehension(class-X level).